Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hard to Let Go

We're trucking on 1431 winding along the S curve, I'm hanging on, trying to stay in my seat cause we're in the big Burban and it doesn't like that particular S curve too well (see the letter s, now imagine driving on it at 60 mph. Sick yet?).

My phone rings and I look to see that it says Dallas, Tx. I say to my husband, "What do I do, I don't know what to do!" As though I've never answered a cell phone before. humph But this kinda call, no, I hadn't. It was my first call for an inquiry about renting the townhouse.

My hands were scattering, my lips went pale. I gingerly said hello, hoping that the person on the other end wasn't some hard pale cruncher type who would be abrupt no warmth demanding (and yes I'm describing a later caller).

Instead it was the nicest southern female slight twang "Hey there just callin bout the townhouse for rent" and we went on to have a regular conversation. I had her pictured exactly in my head. And when she became my first renter I couldn't wait to get a glimpse of her to confirm what I already knew.

She dressed at Ann Taylors and Talbots. Had short blond hair. A cute family of 4 with a husband who wore polo shirts and was an investor or something. She was 5'4" weighed about 120lbs and played tennis. All this I could tell from a Dallas accent.

The week came. I had that townhouse lookin as good as it was ever gonna be. Little foo foo baskets like in fancy hotels. Pillows arranged just so and plumped. Fancy air freshener sprayed all over. What was I gonna do - it was our FIRST RENTER in our new business.

I parked and waited when I thought she'd show. And waited and waited and waited. Gave up when my daughter was screaming at me "You're a stalker, Mom!" Continued to find reasons to drive by somewhere that is not on my way to anywhere over the next week. Still a stalker. NEVER saw her.

Then her visit was over and she was gone :(. She sent me an e-mail to let me know she'd enjoyed it and all, and she'd left me a little somethin somethin in the basket as a thank you. A true Dallas lady all the way to the end. Pays me money to stay at my house then leaves me a gift. What do you know?

I rushed out the door in my pajamas drove drove drove threw open the door looked in the basket and found

A COUNTRY WESTERN CD BY THE KAT MOORE BAND! That was my Dallas matron of the favorite bee honey voice? Breathe. I ripped open the CD crammed it into my player listened on the way home and honey I was hooked. I haven't been able to get her tunes out of my head. She's playing on radio stations up and down Texas and she's famous. And I've e-mailed her since and she continues to be one of the nicest people I never met.

So was it Hard to Let Go of my stereotype? Heck no, what an idjut I was for ever thinking that all in the first place. Thanks kat -


p.s. click on the blog title to go to her website and hear some of her great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment